Monday, October 11, 2010

Purchase of House

One of my friends got married a couple of months ago, and he will hold his wedding reception in the coming months. I talked with him over the phone today. He said that he was currently preparing invitation cards for guests. He requested my wife and me to attend the reception. He also talked about his new life with his new wife. It sounded good. Even over the phone, I could imagine his face seemed content with the marriage.

On the phone, I informed him of my decision that I would move to a new house. The house is close to my current home. I rent the current home on the condition that I have to leave this place in a couple of years. I, thus, have been looking for a new place to live for about one year. And, I found the one. The new house is also a rented house.

The friend mentioned that he and his wife sometimes have wondered about purchasing a house. They now rent a house and live there like I do. The friend asked me whether I have a plan to purchase a house. I answered no, because I do not want to bear a housing loan. The friend said he will purchase one if he finds a good one, since paying a rent creates nothing.

I remembered that some other friends of mine had bought a house, and my colleagues own their house. I suddenly realized that I compared my life with that of my friends and colleagues. When I was single, I did not do the comparison. If I were to purchase my house, would I feel superior to my friends who would not own their own house?

Thinking on a possibility of purchasing a house reminded me of one phrase which my former girlfriend said during my student days. She said that any materials would not satisfy me. House, car, money, nor any countable materials. I would feel satisfaction only when I accomplish self-imposed goals or encounter serendipity. The goals would not be materials, but be uncountable things, such as understanding complex logic, deepening friendships, or falling in a love.

More than 5 years has passed since I graduated my university. I have not yet bought a house not because of ideological reasons. But because I do not want myself to be bonded with a long term housing loan.

No comments:

Post a Comment