Sunday, October 17, 2010

Nineteen Eighty-Four (1)

I have been reading Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell for the past 2 weeks. The book consists of 3 chapters. I am now in the last section of the chaper 2.

Nineteen Eighty-Four is a very famous novel. I came across this book when reading the Japan Times, a newspaper written in English and published in Japan. I remember that an article in the Japan Times described an unstable political phase in Zimbabwe 2 or 3 years ago. At that time, a tyrant governed the country. Members of the opposition parties to the tyrant were reported to be killed by accidents or suspicious reasons. 

The article referred to a one-party dictatorship described in Nineteen Eighty-Four. In some other article in the Japan Times, there was also a reference to Nineteen Eighty-Four. Almost 50 years have passed since the book was written in 1949. However, there were still references to the book, from which I sensed that something universal would had been written.

My intuition was correct. The book is well written. I cannot do any other thing except reading the book in my free time. I will post my impression on the book in a future blog.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, although I completed reading it a year ago, I still have a lively impression of 1984.

    ReplyDelete