Thursday, November 4, 2010

Writing

I came back to my home by walking from my office with my younger colleague. She has only about 1 year's working experience. When talking with her, I realized that I was no longer a freshman.

She said that she found it difficult to write business documents. If she could have a better ability in writing them, she said, then she would gain more opportunities to broaden her horizon.

When I was a freshman, I had a similar frustration to hers. I was terribly bad at writing business reports. Logic was not well constructed, and an adjective and an adverb were not placed in suitable positions in one sentence. My boss and my senior staff member often pointed out that I should improve my writing ability. I had an aspiration to obtain a better writing skills. I thought that if I could have the skills, then I would have more chances in my future carriers.

However, I have not been trapped in such frustration at least for the past year. During that time, I did not even remembere that I had such frustration. Although I have experienced many problems and confronted difficult situations in my business, I have not ascribed the origin of those problems to my poor writing skills. Instead, I have realized that communication skills were as equally important as personal skills such as writing skills. In the years ahead, I will realize other important factors which will be needed in my future business activity.

2 comments:

  1. I think writing skill is a very tricky one. Some people get the points very quickly, and others don't. It's also very difficult to train it. But I guess, like her, if the person is aware that the writing is poor, she has a high potential to improve it, isn't it like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said the exactly same thing as you said. The first step to improve one's potential is an awareness to or frustration on his/her own deficiency. Then, longing for improving it is arisen naturally. This is a good cycle. Furtunatelly, since my collegue has a healthy mental, I am sure that this cycle will be working very well for her.

    ReplyDelete