Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Motivation for Work

When I took a walk with my friend on a holiday several years ago, we talked about each other’s motivation for working. I explained that my motivation for working was based on my curiosity about environmental issues. She said that she understood my answer very well.

She knew that I'd had a difficult time finding my current job. During my job hunting time, I applied for various kinds of industries and occupations. Every application was rejected except for the one with my current company.

I had intended to hold an academic position during my student days. After graduating from university, I entered a graduate school. After obtaining a master's degree in grad school, I became a doctor candidate. However, at this stage, I dropped out of my academic career.

I realized that I lacked the wisdom necessary to be a scientist. I thought that if I had become a scientist, I would have ended up conducting tedious studies in order to mass produce academic papers. What I had wanted to do was not to increase the number of academic papers, but to pursue the fundamental mysteries of the nature.

I am currently working as an environmental consultant at my company. My fundamental mission at my company is to earn a profit. Thus, a concrete numerical goal is imposed on my annual working plan. If I fail to achieve the goal, my remuneration will be reduced accordingly.

In order to achieve the goal, I need various capabilities. One of them is a deep knowledge of environmental issues. I have been curious about environmental issues since I was in university, though my expertise was biophysics in my grad school.

Therefore, I need to study environmental issues to widen and strengthen my environmental consulting service. I study it according to my curiosity. I think this is a good cycle.

When I became too tired due to being overworked in my office, I sometimes felt irresponsible for my work. However, every time such a situation occurred, I was reminded of the fact that this profession was exceptionally suitable to me.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have found a very good job for your career. No pressure of making an innovation, but can use the academic knowledge for practical solution for the problems.

    I was attempting to be a researcher some years ago in a field and gave up for a few reasons including the ability of making difference in there. I took a very different career which is slightly different from my background. So I kind of understand being in between academic field and practical field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have. I could find a good place to initiate my professional career. Being in an academic position sounds better, but I found it difficult to make difference in such position. As you said, being in between academic field and business field is suitable to me.

    ReplyDelete