Sunday, August 7, 2011

The wind-up bird chronicle

Someone who has visited my blog has said that “The wind-up bird chronicle” by Haruki Murakami was an impressive book. During the trip to Thailand last week, I completed reading The wind-up bird chronicle. I had a set of time in the airplane and before falling in sleep at a hotel in Bangkok.

The novel was interesting. Tohru Okada is a main character. He is 30 years-old, and got married, but has not had kids yet. He lives in Tokyo. His life is not special at one glance. However, as the novel continues, he begins to get involved in unusual things. He often jumps between in reality and in dream. Many characters appear in the novel, and they speak and speak and speak. With the help of those characters, I sometimes thought that I could touch one of fundamental questions of our life. They are usually called as love, dream, mission of our life, enemy to our soul, or others.

I like Murakami’s novels because he sheds light on important things which exist in my mind, but do not usually appear in my daily life.

2 comments:

  1. Impressive! You have read Murakami's book really quickly. It took me months to read it, but I read it little by little. I have bought Murakami's "Norwegian wood" and I will try to read it during my vacations (I will start my vacations tomorrow) but I am not sure if I will finish it soon. I am a slow reader. I hope that you have enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could just set aside time for reading the novel in vacant time during my trip. In addition, I read it in its original language, in Japanse. That's why the speed seems to be fast.

    "Norwegian wood" is a good novel. It is a long one, but each sentence plays an important role in the novel. At this moment, I cannot say which one is better, "Norwegian wood" or "The wind-up bird chronicle".

    ReplyDelete