Saturday, March 12, 2011

Strong Earthquake and Subsequent Events

A series of strong earthquakes has been and is still hitting Japan, including Tokyo, since the first strongest one hit the northeastern part of Japan yesterday afternoon. Fortunately, my family members and I are safe, but more than 1,000 people are reported to have passed away or been lost at this time. A large tsunami devastated many towns and villages. In addition, a nuclear power plant is still in trouble. I trusted that technical countermeasures against seismic activities in the field of the nuclear power plant in Japan were well established and introduced; however, the magnitude and the scale of these earthquakes must have exceeded our best available technology.

I was in a conference room and had a meeting with more than ten people when the earthquakes struck us. I had never experienced such massive (in terms of both the magnitude and the duration) earthquakes before. The railway system was paralyzed just after the event and still did not fully recover till today. I stayed all night in the conference room because there was no way to get back home at that time. I could hardly sleep there and then. I arrived at my home around 9:00 a.m.

I sincerely hope that the damage arising from the disaster will be taken care of properly.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really terrible! Luckily, Japan is indeed well prepared for earthquakes, but this one was really exceptional, from what we can see on both French and Japanese TV.
    All these aftershocks, it must be a constant fear source...
    では、頑張って下さい。

    ReplyDelete
  2. ピエール
    Yes, this earthquake should be and must be recorded as one of the most terrible disasters in Japan. I watched the devastated places over and over on TV, too. And they made me very sad. The tsunami totally washed out a large number of towns and villages, and there remains nothing after the tsunami. At this moment, I don't know how and when victims of this earthquake recover their life both economically and socailly. I will also do my best as one of the affected people. Thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete