Saturday, October 8, 2011

Chrysanthemum Festival


Today and tomorrow, there is a chrysanthemum festival in my town. A couple of hand-made-Japanese dolls dressing chrysanthemum is displayed at a temple near my home during this two days. This festival is held every October. It is the fourth time for me to see this festival.

When I was in my home today after my dinner, I heard pulses of Japanese drums. I went outside, and found five young women and one man were beating Japanese drums on top of a float decorated as like a fishing boat. I was fascinated with the performance.

While watching the performance, I found that people in my town seem to be connected to each other rather strongly. I have no kids, and my working place is about 1 hour away by foot from my town; thus, I have very limited connections with people in my town. On the other hand, when I went back to my hometown where I had been living until the 18 years-old, I found myself a member of communities in my hometown.

Someone regard this valuable connection as social capital. We need time and effort to foster social relationships in communities; but, once such a connection is developed, you will be able to obtain many opportunity from your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment